The Green Brothers Mills were built in 1823 by Willis Green on the Falls of Rough, located on the Grayson and Breckinridge County line. Willis was a member of the State Legislature in 1836 & 1837 and a US Congressman from 1839 to 1845.
The mills became a great part of economic growth in the area, with over 200 employees at one time. It was operated by the Green family continuously for over 140 years. Farmers from a seven county area brought their grain to be ground into flour and cornmeal to this 6,000+ acre complex of timber and farmland.
Today this mill site is in great danger as the heavy rains have caused much flooding in the area. The once small corner of stone that use to hold the gristmill has washed away. On the verge of collapse, the mill finally gave way on Sunday August 14th, 2016 at around 6:00 pm.
The property owner, Mr. Harvel Escue plans to give the mills to the Falls of Rough Old Mill Preservation non-profit group for the stabilization and reconstruction of the Mill. He has worked with our group to dismantle the mill, saving all the equipment, t-beams, gears, and everything else needed.
Using as much of the original mill as possible, construction is expected to start in Fall 2016. We ask for your prayers and support in this project – for knowledge, guidance, and the ability to fund it. We know it will be a large task, but we have already received lots of wonderful help. We know we can accomplish this together!